Lentils cooked until just tender and ribbon-sliced arugula are tossed with a simple vinaigrette and topped with a bit of feta cheese in this Lentil Arugula Salad.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic or shallot
- 1 Tbsp. red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (or more to taste!)
- Rinse lentils, put them in a pot, and cover them with cold water by at least two inches. Peel and halve the onion and add it and the bay leaf to the pot. Put the pot on to boil. Cook lentils just until tender to the bite, about 20 minutes (note: cooking time of lentils can vary widely; being tasting them after 15 minutes, but it may take up to 40 minutes for them to cook properly). Drain lentils and discard onion and bay leaf.
- Mince garlic or shallot and put in a large salad bowl. Add the vinegar, salt, and pepper to the bowl and let sit about 10 minutes. Whisk in the oil to finish the dressing.
- Add lentils to the dressing and toss to coat lentils thoroughly.
- Rinse arugula leaves and pat thoroughly dry. Lay them in a stack and cut into ribbon-like shreds. Add to the lentils and toss to combine. Toss in feta cheese or use it to garnish each serving.
This recipe originally appeared at http://localfoods.about.com/od/salads/r/Lentil-Arugula-Salad.htm